Sunday, November 23, 2008

A day to remember and new hope


I am probably one of the few that still reads the news paper on Sunday mornings, and not just for the sale ads. I really like to read the City and State section because of the focus on hometown people.

I was glancing through the paper this morning and saw a story on a gentleman named Rudy Castro. He was a banquet captain at the historical Rice Hotel in Houston. His story was about the his last day with John F. Kennedy. What caught my attention was the title to the story 'Serving his last supper'. You see he served JFK the day before his assassination at the Rice Hotel. He mentioned JFK was like a movie star. The following day he was serving another banquet when he heard over the speaker system that Kennedy had been shot and 45 minutes later his death was announced. "The world was shattered and everything was shut down" said Castro. The article also said that the present generation tends to forget how the nation was crippled by this tragedy. The article was written because it was 45 years ago on November 22, 1963 that Kennedy was assassinated.

I was not born during that era, but as long as I can remember I was always fascinated with the the legacy of the Kennedy's. I think they are a family that has provided a great service and support to American politics.

This was the last paragraph written in the Castro article.
"He (Kennedy) was my biggest hero," Castro said. "Just seeing him on TV or in a photo was enough to lift your hopes and dreams. Maybe this generation will have that with Mr. Obama."

I hope Obama does bring the change he promised in his campaign and I am elated to be present in this era to experience a new page in politics.

No comments: